Thursday 17 November 2016

Dinner and a Book Club

My mom invited me to join her and a friend at the PC Cooking School Dinner and a Book Club held this week at Loblaws near Masonville Mall. 

She praised the book "The Golden Son" by Shilpi Somaya Gowda. The story is based in rural India, so the menu was to include classic Indian dishes. Intrigued by both the book and the lure of delicious Indian food, I readily accepted my mom's invitation. 

"The Golden Son" had a long list of holds at the library, so I borrowed my mom's Nook for the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed reading this story. I was looking forward to our evening out.
The menu included the following Indian dishes, Aloo Tikki (Indian potato pancakes) with Tamarind Chutney; Pepper Chicken Masala with Lemon Rice; Tarka Dhal (stewed lentils/split peas) with Green Beans and Coconut; Naan Bread; and creamy Mango Lassi (yogurt-based shake) for dessert. Dinner was delicious. 

We were given copies of the PC Cooking School recipes listed above and instructed on how to prepare each dish. I transcribed the recipes including the chef's alterations into a pdf document. You can find the recipes here if you would like to try them too.

In between dishes we discussed the book. Our book club moderator was knowledgeable keeping our discussion lively and interesting. She also recommended other books I would love to read. I've listed them below if you're interested.

"The Secret Daughter" by Shilpi Somaya Gowda
"The Inheritance of Loss" by Kiran Desai
"A Fine Balance" by Rohinton Mistry
"Book of Negroes" by Lawrence Hill
"The Illegal" by Lawrence Hill
"Can You Hear the Night Bird Call" by Anita Rau Badami
"His Whole Life" by Elizabeth Hay
"A Man Called Ove" by Fredrik Backman
"The Wonder" by Emma Donoghue
"Room" by Emma Donoghue
"Incontinent on the Continent" by Jane Christmas

All-in-all it was a fabulous evening. I wouldn't hesitate to sign up for another PC Dinner and a Book Club event. I highly recommend it as an enjoyable evening out for $15 $30 per person.

Thanks Mom for the invitation. I had fun.

Correction: This dinner was actually $30 per person. I signed up for the PC Cooking School Holiday Insiders Collection dinner. That one is only $15 per person. I mistakenly assumed they cost the same. Thanks again Mom.


 Be the first to comment - click on No comments: below





3 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed the book and the food - I'll make a note of some of the books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a wonderful evening but the cost is incorrect it was $30.00 dollars per person but still very worth it. Joan and I really enjoy the book club and the dinner. Glad that you enjoyed it as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've updated the price on the post ... mistakenly thought it was the same as their other events. Thanks for taking me. It was a special treat.

      Delete