Sunday 8 January 2017

5 Star Beanie

Yesterday I crocheted this hat using a free pattern on Yarnspirations called "5 Star Beanie". I actually started the bottom band early in the week crocheting a bit each night, but was not happy with my work. 
I was having trouble finding the back loop on the last stitch in each row. At first I thought it was me, but then realized it was probably because of my yarn choice. Instead of using Caron Simply Soft, I used Patons Bamboo Baby yarn. It is luxuriously soft and squishy, but also very slippery. The back loop of the first slip stitch in each row would disappear as I did the second slip stitch. I finally figured out how to fix this problem. 

After working the second stitch in each row, I used a tiny 2.0 mm hook to pull up the 'disappearing' back loop making it easy to find. With this simple trick my edges straightened out beautifully.   

Even though I had completed 16" of 18" on the band, I decided to start over. I knew I would never be happy with wonky edges. It took all day working on and off, but I finally finished.
I wanted to model this hat outside. It was snowing heavily and cold, so my husband stood in the garage to snap a couple shots.  
  
In the end, I am happy with the look of feel of this 5 Star Beanie. It is a fun and relatively easy project. 

If you would like to make one too, you can find the free pattern here along with lots of helpful instructions. I used two (50 g) balls of Patons Bamboo Baby yarn in royal blue. No pompom was added because I prefer a simpler look.



Be the first to comment - click on No comments: below


2 comments:

  1. Looks great (even without the pom-pom - haha) - I think you should keep it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great and a lovely colour for you as well.

    ReplyDelete