Sunday 11 January 2015

Crochet Moss Stitch Infinity Scarf

I am always reluctant to buy really good yarn because it seems so expensive. A couple years ago I bought two hanks of Alegria yarn at The Yarn Factory Outlet in Listowel. Alegria yarn is super soft hand-dyed fingering weight or sock yarn made from a blend of superwash merino so it's both easy care and durable.

To start I had to roll the hank into a ball by hand. I convinced my husband to hold up his hands and support the yarn while I rolled. It takes quite a long time to roll this amount of yarn into a ball so once my husband was tired of 'helping', I draped the yarn over a kitchen chair back to finish. I didn't think to take a picture. The whole process is really quite labour intensive and I still have the second hank to roll. It can wait.
I was saving this yarn for something really special. I finally decided to make an infinity scarf with it. I love the moss stitch so I followed this free crochet cowl pattern. The pattern calls for worsted weight yarn which works up much bigger than fine sock yarn. 

I made this pattern last Christmas and it was much easier to do with worsted weight yarn. Working with sock yarn and a 4 mm hook is challenging when you have a starting chain of 215 and have to join it without twisting. I started over about three times before I was satisfied. 

Once I realized how much smaller it was gong to be, I decided to carry on but call it an "Infinity Scarf". It was not going be long enough to wrap twice around the neck but if I made it wide using all the yarn, it should drape nicely on its own.
When I first started working on the cowl in this colour I had my niece in mind as bright colours look so good on her. Once I finished I tried it on and decided it made a perfectly fine Infinity Scarf. I also discovered I could take a decent selfie in front of a mirror. The camera reflection in the mirror shows where you're aiming which is much easier than working blind. My head is cut off on purpose as I just wanted to show the scarf.
I also draped the scarf over a wine carafe to show a close up of the stitches and beautiful colours in this yarn. The crochet moss stitch is one of my favourite stitches. I just love how it looks.
I was so pleased to finish in plenty of time for our niece's birthday today. It's wrapped and ready to go. I hope she likes it.
 
 
I think the colour suits her perfectly and I'm pretty sure she likes it. Another Crochet Moss Stitch Infinity Scarf made with love to help keep her warm this winter.  Happy 25th Birthday to our beautiful niece. 




Be the first to comment - click on No comments: below.

1 comment: